· mid-sized city in Manabí Province, Ecuador
· second most populous city in the province
· fifth most populous in the country
· economically, the third most important city of Ecuador
· existed since Pre-Columbian times
· trading post for the Mantas
· the 2010 census, the city had 300,000 inhabitants
· main economic activity is tuna fishing
· economic activities include tourism and a chemical industry with products from cleaning supplies to oils and margarine.
Manta – 350k (working city, mainly fishing and fish processing)
The country has three main geographic regions, plus an insular region in the Pacific Ocean:
· La Costa, or the coast, comprises the low-lying land in the western part of the country, including the Pacific coastline.
· La Sierra, ("the highlands") is the high-altitude belt running north-south along the center of the country, its mountainous terrain dominated by the Andes mountain range
· La Amazonía, also known as El Oriente ("the east"), comprises the Amazon rainforest areas in the eastern part of the country, accounting for just under half of the country's total surface area, though populated by less than 5% of the population
· The Región Insular is the region comprising the Galápagos Islands, some 1,000 kilometers (620 mi) west of the mainland in the Pacific Ocean
Ecuador is about equal in area to Nevada
· 109,000 sq. mi
· Two high parallel ranges of the Andes, with the north & south are topped by tall volcanic peaks. The highest is Chimborazo at 20,577 ft.
· Quito is about 10,000 ft.
· is bordered by Colombia on the north, Peru on the east and south, and by the Pacific Ocean to the west. It is one of only two countries in South America, along with Chile, that do not have a border with Brazil. The country also includes the Galápagos Islands in the Pacific, about 1,000 kilometers (620 mi) west of the mainland.
Ecuador - 14.5 million
· 25 Provinces
Guayas – 3.6 million
· Guayaquil – 2.2 million
Pichincha – 2.5 million
· Quito – 1.6 million
Manabí – 1.3 million
Economy Exports Gas is in Gallons NOT Liters
· Oil accounts for 40% of exports
· In the agricultural sector, major exporter of bananas (first place worldwide in production and export), flowers, and the eighth largest producer of cocoa. It is also significant the shrimp production, sugar cane, rice, cotton, corn, palm and coffee
· The country´s vast resources include large amounts of timber across the country; Pines and cedars are planted in the region of the Sierra, walnuts and rosemary, and balsa wood, on Guayas River Basin.
AEROPUERTO ELOY ALFARO de MANTA, INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Manta’s airport is listed as an International Airport; however, "for cargo" only. Presently, there are NO civilian international flights in or out of Manta. Flights in and out of Manta are from Quito only.
In 2010, rumors were Manta was working towards an actual "civilian" international airport with flights to and from the US, Canada & Europe.
Manta's La Marea News 11/23/2018
The Ecuadorian Government has begun reconstruction of the international airport "Eloy Alfaro", of the city of Manta with an investment of 21 million dollars in order to reactivate the economy and strengthen tourism in the area.
During the ceremony, President Lenin Moreno, said that the deadline to complete the work is 18 months. However, Moreno asked the Chinese contractors to try for 16 months.
"It will have an eight-story control tower, the infrastructure will be two floors, loading and unloading terminals that did not exist before," said the governor.
In addition, he expressed his commitment to the fulfillment of this work that will benefit 350,000 citizens of Manta, will boost the local economy and will allow opening doors to new entrepreneurs.
The First New Destination ~ French Polynesia
One of the new destinations planned with the rehabilitation of the airfield is with Tahiti, the largest island in French Polynesia.
From Wikipedia, Tahiti, French Polynesia population is 189,517 inhabitants (2017 census).
Destinations to the US, Canada & Europe? Well I guess we will have to wait & see. 2010 - Until?